Conventional | Sustainable
Landscape Performance Benefits
- Prevents or slows approximately 90% of site’s annual stormwater runoff from entering the municipal storm sewer system, managing stormwater volumes up to 309,000 gallons of water in a single event.
- Removes at least 80% of total suspended solids by treating at least 90% of average annual rainfall using green roofs, bio-infiltration, and permeable paving.
- Eliminates the need for irrigation with potable water by utilizing drought-tolerant, native and adapted plant species and by conveying stormwater for passive irrigation.
- Increased calmness in 57% of patients surveyed, reduced stress in 50% of patients surveyed, and made the hospital stay easier for 50% of patients surveyed who had utilized the oncology infusion bay overlooking the green roof garden. Patients also described the garden as “peaceful” (40%) and “relaxing” (27%).
- Provides pleasant views for 100% of patients surveyed. All preferred the views of the gardens to views of the nearby street, rooftop, and parking lot.
- Increased positivity about the daily work experience for 62% of hospital staff surveyed, who have access to the Spiral Garden and viewing access to the healing gardens within the hospital.
At a Glance
Conservation Design Forum
Former Land Use
1.5 acres plus 0.5-acre extensive green roof